Why has the University adopted the Protection of Children Policy?

The University is committed to promoting the safety and wellbeing of Children. As such, the University seeks to ensure that those who are entrusted to the University's care, participate in University Programs, or who are present in University facilities are protected. 

How does the Protection of Children Policy define a Program?

The Policy defines a Program as a single event, an ongoing event, or a series of activities designed to including Children such as camps, lessons, workshops, clubs, teams, projects, practices, tours, or open-houses. Programs that fall under this Policy shall be designed for Children, on behalf of Children, or where Children are under the care and custody of the University or its representatives. 

I'm not involved with Programming involving minors. Does the Policy apply to me?

The Core Values of the University apply to all faculty, staff, students, alumni, volunteers and anyone associated with the University whether they are sponsoring a Program or interfacing with Children under any circumstances.  Further, all University constituents are required to report any suspected abuse or inappropriate behavior as outlined in the Protection of Children Policy. 

When might I need to make a report of suspected abuse and how do I report?

Indiana law requires anyone who has reason to believe that a Child is a victim of child abuse or neglect to make an oral report immediately to the local child protection service or the local law enforcement agency. If the Child is on the Notre Dame campus, the appropriate law enforcement agency to contact is Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) (574-631-5555). In an emergency or crisis situation off-campus, the best way to contact the appropriate law enforcement agency is to call 911 or the Department of Child Service at 1-800-800-5556.

Separate from any legal duty, any member of the University community should contact NDSP (574-631-5555) or the Integrity Line (800-688-9918) to discuss any suspicious, inappropriate or unusual conduct involving a Child while the Child is on campus or is participating in a University-connected activity off campus that would lead a reasonable person to have concern for the current or future well-being of that particular Child or other Children.

What training am I required to have in order to comply with the Protection of Children Policy?

All adults involved with the Program, including volunteers, are required to:

  1. Review the Core Values of the University
  2. Review the Behavioral Expectations for Working with Children
  3. Review the on-line Training Resource Document

I'm a student involved in a University sponsored program with minors - do I need training?

Yes, students are required to:

  1. Review the Core Values of the University
  2. Review the Behavioral Expectations for Working with Children
  3. Review the on-line Training Resource Document
  4. Sign the Sworn Statement Affidavit

What do I need to do in order to host a non-university sponsored program involving children on campus?

Any non-university sponsored program must have a Responsible Party sponsor at the University. The Responsible Party will be required to make arrangements with applicable University constituents regarding:

  • Use of University Facilities
  • Provision of Contracts
  • Compliance with the Protection of Children Policy

I employ minors in my work/research area. What must I do to comply with the Policy?

Those working with minor employees are responsible to follow the Children in Laboratories section on the website.


I will have a minor child volunteering to work or participate in research. What must I do to comply with University Policy?

Academic Units that have minors volunteering to work or participate in research should comply with the Children in Laboratories section on the website.

When are waivers required and who signs them?

Whenever Children are participating in a University sponsored Program, a Waiver, Release and Indemnification Agreement must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.

When should I obtain emergency contact information, medical information and consent to treatment forms?

Emergency Contact Information, Medical Information and Consent to Treatment forms should be obtained whenever a minor child will be:

  • Staying overnight
  • Traveling off-campus
  • Consuming food while in the care of the Responsibility Party
  • Volunteering in a laboratory

Who is required to have a Criminal and Sexual Offender Background check?

All non-student volunteers and non-university employees affiliated with a Program involving Children are subject to a criminal background check and a check of the national sex offender registry.

Further, any sponsoring Unit must ensure that any University Representative who will be present in a facility with Children during an overnight stay undergo a criminal background check and a check of the national sex offender registry every three years.


Are University of Notre Dame students required to have Criminal and Sexual Offender Background checks?

University students participating in Programs involving children must sign a Sworn Statement Affidavit.   Students who will be participating in Programs involving overnight stays are subject to Criminal and Sexual Offender Background Checks.

Upon review of the Sworn Statement, the Program Director or Manager, in his or her sole discretion, shall determine if the student will be allowed to partcipate in the Program. 

Signed Sworn Statements shall be held by the Program Director and Manager for three years from completion of the Program. 

How do I obtain Criminal and Sexual Offender Background Checks?

Background checks are available through Human Resources by following these procedures:

  • Select an Authorization Form for an employee or volunteer.  The appropriate Authorization Form is available in the "Forms" section of this site and must be completed and submitted via FAX to Human Resources at 574/631-8263
  • Access the Human Resources website at:  employ.nd.edu
  • Proceed through the Login process
  • Link to "Submit New Request"
  • Indicate "Yes" to the question as to whether the ND Jobs Application has been completed
  • Complete the Hiring Department information (this applies whether the person is employed, volunteering or acting as an independent contractor)
  • Indicate a FOAPAL number (no charge will be made to this account - it is for informational purposes only)
  • Select from a drop down menu regarding the Position Information
  • Complete the Candidate Demographic (note that you will need a social security number)
  • Submit
  • After 5-7 business days, you will be able to check the status of the Background Checks at:  employ.nd.edu
  • The status offers two alternatives: "Cleared" implies that the Background Check was run and the results were acceptable;  "Pending" implies that the Background Check is either not complete or pre-adverse action has been taken.

What is the process for the overnight stay component of a program involving minors?

Sponsored Programs involving overnight stays (on or off campus) must receive express permission from the Risk Management & Safety Department (RMS). In order to obtain permission, a Program Registration - Including Overnight Stay, should be submitted for review by RMS.

I oversee Programs that include University faculty, staff or students working with outside organizations that involve Children such as the Boys and Girls Club, the Girl Scouts and Big Brothers/Big Sisters, etc. How does this Policy apply to these Programs?

Programs that are designed for Children and sponsored by organizations other than the University are not subject to the University's Protection of Children Policy if the Program activities take place at facilities arranged by the outside organization. 

However, if University constituents plan Independent field trips or activities for the Children and remove them from these Programs, the appropriate procedures and protocol of the Protection of Children Policy must be met. 

What is the document retention policy?

Documents signed by parents/legal guardians on behalf of a minor child, including waivers or consent to medical treatment forms, shall be retained for two years after the child reaches the age of majority (18); for example, if the child is 12 years of age during the Program, the documents shall be held for 8 years

How will Programs be audited under the Protection of Children Policy?

Programs will be audited on a five-year rotational basis.  For auditing purposes, Program Directors or Managers should have documentation available for review:

  • Program Planning Worksheets
  • Waivers, Medical Releases and other required signed Forms
  • Background Checks and signed Sworn Statements from students
  • Review of Behavioral Expectations, University Core Values and the Training Resource by all adults involved in the Program

back to top